Celebrate summer this year with the Red Barn by participating in the annual Cherry Pit Spit on August 3rd, 2013. Come for an afternoon of family fun and prizes and to spit your pit and see how far your hot air can make it fly.
The Red Barn donates 100% of the proceeds from this event and the profit from the days ice cream sales to a local charity or cause. Cost to spit is $1.00.
Championship Rounds include the top 10 spitters from the men and women participants and the top five spitters from the youth age group divisions which include: 5& under, 6-8 and 9-12.
- The contest is open to everyone regardless of age or gender.
- All contestants must register in qualifying court prior to spitting, unless spitter is awarded a special exemption by the official tournament judge. Registration deadline is 12:00 noon on day of Championship.
- No foreign objects may be held in the mouth which would give an advantage in spitting the pit.
- The contestant's foul line will be determined on a handicap basis according to height, in order to remove any advantage to taller contestants. The handicap will consist of a two-inch (50.8 mm) withdrawal from the base foul line for each one-inch (25.4 mm) of contestant height over four feet (1.21 m). Any contestant four feet tall or less will stand at the base foul line. The decision of the tournament line judge is final.
- Contestants must select three cherries from the regulation variety (Montmorency) supplied by the tournament committee. Cherries must be washed and chilled to 55-60oF pit temperature.
- Each cherry must be inserted in the mouth whole, all soluble solids eaten prior to spitting of the pit. No part of the cherry may be removed from the mouth after insertion.
- Each contestant must spit his/her pit within 60 seconds of the time he/she is called to the line by the tournament judge. Three spits are allowed. The longest of three is recorded. If a pit is swallowed, that spit is forfeited.
- Contestants' hands must remain below the shoulders (to avoid popping one's cheeks).
- Contestants' feet may not touch or cross the foul line.
- Spitters must stand flat on the ground -- or ground level platform -- to spit. Spitters are prohibited from using any kind of mechanical or other device to improve body thrust or spit length (including hydraulic hoists, wall support, etc.).
2011 Cherry Pit Spit Champions